Giving back to the marine environment
The Ocean means everything to us!
Our business would not exist, if it wasn't for the beauty of the marine ecosystems that we take our divers to. Unfortunately we can't take that resource ocean for granted, as the oceans are under severe stress from human activities.
"You care about what you love". This quote from Jacques Cousteau sums it up and forms our guideline and mission statement when it comes to ocean conservation as a dive center with a retail, travel and education section.
We are an SSI Blue Ocean Dive Center and partner with sustainabletravel.org.
Here an overview of some of our activities:
- Conduct underwater cleanup activities on every trip to our local San Carlos diving area bringing handling cleanup mesh bags to our divers as long as it does not interfere with safety and teaching
- stop using single use plastics in the store, pool and on local trips to Mexico or Lake Pleasant
- Separate trash in the store into recycle, waste, used batteries, etc.
- replacing used light bulbs with energy efficient LED lights if possible
- Implementing the Responsible Diver Code in every course we teach and every dive briefing we give
- Offer free events creating awareness for ocean conservation
- We offer the full range of SSI ecology classes
- Adhere to the SSI Blue Ocean Program standards
- Partner with sustainabletravel.org to offset carbon emissions of our long distance trips
- Partner if possible with tour operators and dive centers that show environmental responsibility